Thursday, June 5, 2008

Thursday, June 5--evening


Woo hoo! Clare weighs 4 lbs, 5 oz! Not bad for being fed Baby Gatorade and lipids through an IV. We're looking at a total of five days on preventative antibiotics and seven days total until we try out her intestines again. This would put us on track to begin feeding again hopefully Tuesday.


Gratefully, the ICN staff moved us away from the baby with MRSA and his irresponsible teen parents. We both are feeling guilty because another baby is already moved into the spot we vacated. We're hoping that it's a baby who isn't as vulnerable to infection as Clare is, with her PICC line and intestinal issues. Still, I'm considering writing to Randy Cohen, the New York Times Sunday Magazine Ethicist. I'll have someone else tell me how guilty I should feel.


I took a little time to sneak out to FHS this afternoon. It was great to see everyone and do a little catching up. I'm especially grateful to Mark, Brian, and Shane for taking over all my duties and concerns so I can focus on Clare. You know, sick leave counts 8 hours as a day...but an administrator's day often runs into the evening and at this time of year, the many awards dinners, celebrations, etc. make for some very long nights. Mark, Brian, and Shane are picking up everything and Tim and I so appreciate it. Thanks, guys! (And to Shane--I'm sorry that parent called you a jackass, but it's a great story!)



Clare's eyes seemed to be a little more under control tonight. She also is smiling a lot, mostly in her sleep, and no doubt just due to little nervous system firings. Still, it's adorable and makes us laugh.



We're going to call it an early night tonight. Tim and I are both on the couch. He's uploading some photos he took of Clare today in her little tie-dye preemie shirt. I can't wait till tomorrow morning, when I can hold her again.

No comments: