Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Little steps

More little steps today:  Clare's IV line was taken out of her PICC, which was then hep-locked and will hopefully (if all goes well) be removed from her within the next day or so.  Can we really hope that it will happen?  Since we've learned to take things as they come, we won't get too excited until the event actually happens.  

The removal of her IV line means that we can now take her in and out of her isolette easily. Her only encumbrances are the three lines stuck on her chest and abdomen that track her respiration and heartrate.  And these can be unplugged briefly, so for a few moments, we have a free baby with just a little hardware still attached.  

We need to debunk what can surely only be an urban legend:  that babies who consume only breast milk produce waste matter that doesn't smell.  WRONG!!!  When we changed her at 8am, she had a full diaper, but it didn't smell too bad.  I held her as she was gavaged this morning (with 42 mls!);  she was just finishing up when Tim and I caught wind of the most pungent odor of sulfur I swear I've ever smelled.  Lord almighty!  So we changed her diaper again, and I wondered aloud 1) whether I'd ever get used to such things, and 2) how much worse it'll be when she starts eating real food.  I am so very thankful that Tim is awesome with the diapering.  I'm so fortunate that he takes all this parenting business with the utmost seriousness, and I'm not stuck with someone who is careless or doesn't do things as well as I do. Heck, he does them way better.  (For the record, I did help change the diaper.)

Tim just noted that Clare acted like a real baby today:  she was fussy when we got there because she had a full diaper...she cried during her care because she doesn't like to be undressed and dressed again...she calmed down when we held her...she loaded the diaper after she ate.  We know that some day we'll look back nostalgically to the time when she'd sleep through a poopy diaper.

Clare is 35 weeks' gestation today.  Getting closer to being a term baby all the time.

No comments: