Thursday, July 3, 2008

No sleep for the wicked

It's just past 10 AM and except for little 45 minute intervals here and there, she's been awake. She's been fussy all night. ALL night. We've stayed pretty true to the 3-4 hour feeding schedule (or she's kept us to it), and wet diapers aren't an issue, but she really hasn't slept more than an hour at a time. She's also been eating. A lot! Like about twice what she was formulated to eat last week. I hope this is good and that we just aren't indulging her and gorging her full of milk. Man, though, sleep would be nice.
A working washing machine would be also, if we are going to continue to provide her with clean blankets and onesies. Ours broke down on Monday and the repairman is supposed to come out between 1 and 4 PM. In the meantime, my jeans sit in a pool of soapy water waiting for rinsing and spinning. When I contacted GE via their 800 number for service, the nice fellow at the call center told me that a service representative could be out here on July 9th. "July 9th?!!? I have a newborn at home! I can't wait until then! I'll get somebody local," to which he replied, "but sir, if you do wait, you will receive a five year guarentee on the part or parts replaced and the service done," as if reading directly from a script and without even reacting or replying to what I had just said. At least the local place gave me a 2 day turnaround instead.
I guess being unable to do laundry isn't the end of the world. Laundry mats do still exist and they are a reality for lots of parents. Before my own parents bought a wash machine in the 1960s, they used to do theirs at a laundramat in Enumclaw after my brother was born, and that was the era of cloth everything.
Our neighbor, Amy, gave us some nice gifts yesterday. Amy had her third baby, a girl, about two weeks before Clare was born, and has been a wealth of support for us. She bought us a book called "The Baby Book" and essentially called the baby's "owner's manual". It is hugely informative, talking about the importance of holding the baby and sleeping with her as much as possible. It looks to be one of those things that we didn't know we needed, but looks to be indispensible.

Well, the appliance repairman is here, and Clare and her mom went in to Fife HS to work. If the washer gets done, I might get to sleep!

2 comments:

Elaine said...

So fantastic to meet Clare in person today! Thanks so much Amanda for bringing her by. She is absolutely beautiful and so lucky to be part of your family :).
Elaine

Emily Myers said...

Hi Mrs. Fox and Mr. Knudson, it's great to hear how well Clare is doing! I bet she's a bundle of fun!When can I come play with her? lol Hope you guys catch some sleep!
-Emily